Here are a few of my favorite links!
- USGenWeb.org - Free U.S. genealogy data by state and county
- WorldGenWeb.org - Free world-wide genealogy data
- FamilySearch.com - Free search provided by LDS. It has many record images and indexes not easily found elsewhere. May require registration (free) in order to access some images.
- RootsWeb.com - Although it is now sponsored by Ancestry.com, Rootsweb is still one of the largest free genealogy resources on the web.
- Ancestry.com - You have to pay subscription fees to use most of this site.
- Fold3.com (fka Footnote.com) - Collection of U.S. military records. Can search for free, but you will have limited access to the details without a subscription.
- Findagrave.com - Free grave records, entered by individual users, some with photos, obituaries, or family links.
- Interment.net - Has some free cemetery records. (Note that links under the heading of "Sponsored" will let you search, but you'll need to pay to see detailed results.)
- LA-Cemeteries.com - Has some information on Louisiana cemeteries that other websites do not, including GPS coordinates and maps for many.
- USGS GNIS - Geographic Names Information System - allows for search on feature names such as churches, cemeteries, hospitals, schools, etc., and provides GPS locations.
- Stephen P. Morse's One-Step Portal - Poke around this website - there is a lot of interesting stuff! My favorites are his search utilities for ship records and censuses, and conversions of addresses to GPS.
- WhollyGenes.com - Makers of the best genealogy software around, The Master Genealogist (TMG). Unfortunately, TMG has not been supported or sold since 2014, so this link is only relevant for the user forum, which is still operating. But I'll continue using the software until I find an acceptable replacement.
- JohnCardinal.com - John Cardinal is the author of two very useful and essential companion programs to TMG: Second Site (which generated this website), and TMG Utility (free/donorware editing software for TMG). Note also, he is working on development of a GEDCOM version of Second Site, which hopefully will be released sometime in 2016.
- ReigelRidge.com - Terry Reigel's TMG Tips. Terry is also the author of the sellout book, A Primer for The Master Genealogist, which is very popular among TMG users and is now in its second edition.
- TMGTips.com - Lee Hoffman's TMG Tutorials. Lee is the editor of Getting the Most Out of The Master Genealogist, which is now only available electronically.
- Using It My Way - Michael J Hannah's online book, explaining customized features (many very specialized and advanced) that he has found useful in generating TMG output "his way".
- TMG Mailing List on Rootsweb - Users supporting users. This list, as well as the still-active Wholly Genes forum, is currently the best source for support of TMG.
- Second Site list on Google Groups - Second Site user support, hosted by John Cardinal.